What Documents Do I Need to Scrap My Car?

When the time comes for you to scrap your car, you’re going to want to ensure that you have everything you need to hand to be able to make the entire process as smooth as possible. Scrap Cars For Cash is here to guide you through all the paperwork you’ll need for a hassle-free experience.


So, what do you need? Well, the list isn’t actually as long as you might think, and the only thing that you absolutely have to make sure you have to hand is some identification, as without this your collection cannot take place. You will also be in a much better position if you can provide your V5C vehicle log book and any MOT or service history that you may have on your vehicle.


Why Do I Need an ID?

It is a legal requirement to provide proof of identification when selling a car for scrap, as laid out in the Scrap Metal Dealers Act of 2013. This ruling was put in place to clamp down on the selling of stolen vehicles and scrap metal. The collecting agent is instructed by law to verify your identification, and this process can be as simple as presenting either a driving licence or a passport.


What do I do if I’m missing documents?

Let our team know at the earliest opportunity as it could have an effect on your car’s scrap value. Thankfully, some documents are replaceable, such as your V5C vehicle log book. You can apply for a duplicate V5C online via the Gov.uk website. You will need to have the registration and VIN/chassis numbers of your vehicle, along with the name and postcode registered to the V5C.


If you are missing any service history or MOT history, then again make sure to let your advisor know as soon as possible. You may be able to track down some of the service history by going to your garage, or a garage you know the car was previously worked on and asking for a list of the work carried out on the car, as this should remain on the garage’s systems. MOT history is also readily available online, so even if you don’t have any certificates, you can still prove the car’s past through the government’s MOT checking service.


Do I have to apply for a new log book?

If your log book is missing then, while you don’t have to apply for a new one, it is certainly recommended that you do so via the Government’s website. The service will cost you £25, and while you may be unsure about paying to replace the log book on a car you’re about to sell, remember that by not having a V5C it could have a detrimental effect on your scrap quotes. 


What is a Certificate of Destruction?

A Certificate of Destruction, or CoD, is a document given to the final owner of a car when it is scrapped. A CoD acts as proof that the car has been disposed of responsibly and also absolves the holder of all legal responsibility pertaining to the car.


Here at Scrap Cars For Cash we work with a nationwide network of scrap and salvage specialists, meaning we’re not only able to find you with the very best quote but can also arrange to collect your car absolutely free of charge no matter where you are in the country. Get started today with a quote in just 30 seconds by using our online generator, or simply give one of our friendly team a call on 08443 761 020.